Share the world of California Art by volunteering at MMA. Invest your talents, passions, and expertise in the Museum through leading tours, research, public interaction, educational programs, and more.
We are currently recruiting for the Docent Program!
Applications may be submitted via email to [email protected], by mail, or in person .
The Monterey Museum of Art’s Docent Program is a volunteer council that works with MMA’s Education Department to provide meaningful educational experiences that engage audiences of all ages and encourages interaction with the art on display at the Museum.
Docents directly support MMA’s mission by interacting with the public, and expanding awareness and appreciation for California Art. Docents provide tours to Museum guests, assist with our school visit program, participate in Free Family Fun Days, and assist with program facilitation.
Becoming a Docent
The Monterey Museum of Art is seeking friendly and flexible individuals to share their enthusiasm for art with Museum visitors. Previous experience is not required, but applicants must enjoy interacting with the public, be interested in the arts, and have a willingness to learn! Applicants must be able to make a 2-year commitment to the Docent Program.
- Attend the monthly Docent Meetings (First Wednesday of the month, 10:00 am–12:00 pm)
- Attend annual Docent Training – Fall 2022
- Commit a minimum of 2 hours a month to volunteer with Museum guests (Does not include monthly meeting)
- Pay for annual Docent dues, and be a current member of MMA (Docent dues: $42 for your first year, $25 for every consecutive year)
- Complete a background check through the State of California (cost is covered in your first year Docent dues)
- Become proficient in giving tours to adult groups, and visiting K-12 classrooms.
- Must have access to a computer and email.
Email [email protected] for more information