Part time, non-exempt
The Museum Educator reports directly to the Manager of Education and Public Programs. This part-time position includes offering educational tours and workshops with school age children and adults, creating arts-based curriculum, greeting and providing customer service to all museum visitors, answering questions, opening and closing the museum securely, monitoring the galleries and safety of the visitors and art, selling memberships, catalogues and other duties assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Conduct in-person and virtual tours for school age children and adults. Answer questions and provide art related information to visitors.
• Build and run creative workshops for children and adults.
• Attend all trainings of exhibitions, programming and customer service.
• Facilitate workshops at school and community events.
• Create virtual content including videos, social media posts, and live stream events.
• Facilitate virtual programs over Zoom and other platforms.
• Co-create educational video content and assist production.
• Create content for social media engagement.
• Some travel may be required
• Greet and assist visitors during their visit to the museum and answering the phone.
• Maintain a clean facility, which includes visitor services area, galleries, break room, and bathrooms.
• Sell and renew museum memberships and museum store merchandise.
• Attend required lectures, talks and staff meetings.
• Responsible for shift opening and closing of register.
• Assist with special events: greeting visitors, set up and break down of tables, chairs and food services.
• Responsible for opening and closing of the facilities.
• Monitors the galleries for safety and security of the visitors, art and building.
• Engages with the public in answering questions, giving information and promoting the Monterey Museum of Art.
This section can include other (non-essential) duties and responsibilities typically included in the position, but which may be subject to re-assignment if the employee or candidate requires reasonable accommodation for a disability or limitation.
GENERAL JOB PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
Customer Service Orientation * Desire to Share Knowledge * Communication Skills * Attendance and Punctuality * Strong Sense of Responsibility * Adherence to Security Protocols * Must be able to interact with a diverse population in a welcoming manner
Education: High School Diploma with relevant experience in Art and Education Preferred: BA in Art (Fine Art, Art History, etc.), Education (Art preferred), Museum Studies, or relevant field
Professional experience: Two years of experience in education within an art context
Knowledge/ skills/abilities: Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Interest in art and museums, enjoys working with children and adults, the ability to enforce museum rules and policies, capable of making decisions in emergency situations.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Jennifer Wagner, Human Resources, [email protected]
Monterey Museum of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.